There are no upcoming events right now.
Why not post one?
- Justice for Indigenous Peoples is Long Overdueby Ryan McGreal, published June 30, 2021 in Commentary
- Third-Party Election Advertising Ban About Silencing Workersby Chantal Mancini, published June 29, 2021 in Politics
- Did Doug Ford Test the 'Great Barrington Declaration' on Ontarians?by Ryan McGreal, published June 29, 2021 in Special Report: COVID-19
- An Update on Raise the Hammerby Ryan McGreal, published June 28, 2021 in Site Notes
- Nestlé Selling North American Water Bottling to an Private Equity Firmby Doreen Nicoll, published February 23, 2021 in Healing Gaia
- Jolley Old Sam Lawrenceby Sean Burak, published February 19, 2021 in Special Report: Cycling
- Right-Wing Extremism is a Driving Force in Modern Conservatismby Ryan McGreal, published February 18, 2021 in Special Report: Extremism
- Municipalities Need to Unite against Ford's Firehose of Land Use Changesby Michelle Silverton, published February 16, 2021 in Special Report
- Challenging Doug Ford's Pandemic Narrativeby Ryan McGreal, published January 25, 2021 in Special Report: COVID-19
- The Year 2020 Has Been a Wakeup Callby Michael Nabert, published December 31, 2020 in Special Report: COVID-19
- The COVID-19 Marshmallow Experimentby Ryan McGreal, published December 22, 2020 in Special Report: COVID-19
- All I Want for Christmas, 2020by Kevin Somers, published December 21, 2020 in Entertainment and Sports
- Hamilton Shelters Remarkably COVID-19 Free Thanks to Innovative Testing Programby Jason Allen, published December 21, 2020 in Special Report: COVID-19
- Province Rams Through Glass Factory in Stratfordby Doreen Nicoll, published December 21, 2020 in Healing Gaia
- We Can Prevent Traffic Deaths if We Make Safety a Real Priorityby Ryan McGreal, published December 08, 2020 in Special Report: Walkable Streets
- These Aren't 'Accidents', These Are Resultsby Tom Flood, published December 04, 2020 in Special Report: Walkable Streets
- Conservation Conundrumby Paul Weinberg, published December 04, 2020 in Special Report
- Defund Police Protest Threatens Fragile Ruling Classby Cameron Kroetsch, published December 03, 2020 in Special Report: Anti-Racism
- Measuring the Potential of Biogas to Reduce GHG Emissionsby John Loukidelis and Thomas Cassidy, published November 23, 2020 in Special Report: Climate Change
- Ontario Squanders Early Pandemic Sacrificeby Ryan McGreal, published November 18, 2020 in Special Report: COVID-19
By Raydaze (anonymous) | Posted December 01, 2006 at 11:26:50
I'm not really sure why Unions got more upset about Ray Days (unpaid manditory days off) than the got about the thousands of people who Lost their Ont. Gov. jobs, part or all of their pensions, during the Mikey/Tory years? Or the fact that OPSEU is now dead in the water as an effective union.
Total effects of Ray Days: You tightened your belt a notch or 2, got to spend some time with your family, maybe you even got your birthday off work. However, you kept your job & your benefits.
Total effects of the Harris Torys: You lost your job, you had no idea from day to day if you had a job, or not until you got your pink slip. After you got your pink slip, if you were lucky, you got hired on part time/ contract by one of the Tory '*Pet Corps' at 1/2 your former salary, with no job security, no vacation time, overtime on demand by the employer that you had to fight to get paid for. The Torys really thrashed people who had devoted 30, or 40+ years to the Ont. Gov.!!!
* Pet Corps - one of which was & is Profac Lavalan SRC (based in Spain) who own the 407 toll hwy., provides much of the former building maintenance & trades people like plumbers, & electricians in all Ont. Gov. & many Fed Gov. buildings -on contract, part time etc. They are also supplying none combat personelle (cooks,& other support people) at low salaries to the Cdn. military in Afghanistan. (If these people are injured at work they cannot even hitch a ride to medical facilities because they are not military. (This has already happened at least once. A woman (cook) who hobbled around on a broken ankle for a month because no one would assume any responsibilty for her or her injury, or medical treatment, in Afghanistan.)
Give me a Ray Day any day of the week. The Torys took real jobs away from real people, & handed then part time/contract/seasonal crap jobs. They deluted their pensions with early termination, with no golden handshake as the Torys have given their own, even if in ugly situations. I wish some of these 'Union Spokespersons' would get off their soap boxes & deal with reality. If anybody killed unions, labour, & rights of none unionized workers in Ontario it was the Harris Torys, both in the Ont. Gov workplace, changes to the Labour Standards Act, & a dozen other places!
Permalink | Context