Comment 68101

By mystoneycreek (registered) - website | Posted August 17, 2011 at 07:49:06

An Historical and Contextual Aside:

In 1866, the Hamilton Board of Education erected the first high school in the area, the Hamilton Collegiate Institute, on this parcel of land.

Around 1896, it then became the Caroline Street School, which catered to the booming elementary school population. In 1904 it was one of the first schools in the area to offer 'domestic science'.

In 1925, the school reverted back to being a high school, named Caroline Street Collegiate, or Hamilton Collegiate Institute Auxillary, featuring grades 9 and 10.

In 1930, with Westdale Tripartite High School opening, Caroline Street was left vacant.

It then became a vocational school, the first boys' handicraft school, F.W. MacBeth School.

The building was declared redundant in 1948.

The Hamilton Board of Education sold the property to the Federal Government...and in 1955, the Federal Building in question was built. (More recent timeline info found here: http://www.thespec.com/news/local/articl... )

All information courtesy of 'Vanished Hamilton III'.

Permalink | Context

Events Calendar

Recent Articles

Article Archives

Blog Archives

Site Tools

Feeds