There are no upcoming events right now.
Why not post one?
- Justice for Indigenous Peoples is Long Overdueby Ryan McGreal, published June 30, 2021 in Commentary
- Third-Party Election Advertising Ban About Silencing Workersby Chantal Mancini, published June 29, 2021 in Politics
- Did Doug Ford Test the 'Great Barrington Declaration' on Ontarians?by Ryan McGreal, published June 29, 2021 in Special Report: COVID-19
- An Update on Raise the Hammerby Ryan McGreal, published June 28, 2021 in Site Notes
- Nestlé Selling North American Water Bottling to an Private Equity Firmby Doreen Nicoll, published February 23, 2021 in Healing Gaia
- Jolley Old Sam Lawrenceby Sean Burak, published February 19, 2021 in Special Report: Cycling
- Right-Wing Extremism is a Driving Force in Modern Conservatismby Ryan McGreal, published February 18, 2021 in Special Report: Extremism
- Municipalities Need to Unite against Ford's Firehose of Land Use Changesby Michelle Silverton, published February 16, 2021 in Special Report
- Challenging Doug Ford's Pandemic Narrativeby Ryan McGreal, published January 25, 2021 in Special Report: COVID-19
- The Year 2020 Has Been a Wakeup Callby Michael Nabert, published December 31, 2020 in Special Report: COVID-19
- The COVID-19 Marshmallow Experimentby Ryan McGreal, published December 22, 2020 in Special Report: COVID-19
- All I Want for Christmas, 2020by Kevin Somers, published December 21, 2020 in Entertainment and Sports
- Hamilton Shelters Remarkably COVID-19 Free Thanks to Innovative Testing Programby Jason Allen, published December 21, 2020 in Special Report: COVID-19
- Province Rams Through Glass Factory in Stratfordby Doreen Nicoll, published December 21, 2020 in Healing Gaia
- We Can Prevent Traffic Deaths if We Make Safety a Real Priorityby Ryan McGreal, published December 08, 2020 in Special Report: Walkable Streets
- These Aren't 'Accidents', These Are Resultsby Tom Flood, published December 04, 2020 in Special Report: Walkable Streets
- Conservation Conundrumby Paul Weinberg, published December 04, 2020 in Special Report
- Defund Police Protest Threatens Fragile Ruling Classby Cameron Kroetsch, published December 03, 2020 in Special Report: Anti-Racism
- Measuring the Potential of Biogas to Reduce GHG Emissionsby John Loukidelis and Thomas Cassidy, published November 23, 2020 in Special Report: Climate Change
- Ontario Squanders Early Pandemic Sacrificeby Ryan McGreal, published November 18, 2020 in Special Report: COVID-19
By Connie (registered) | Posted July 29, 2013 at 12:48:49
So for several years we're going to have 5 empty lots facing Gore Park where these historic brick and timber buildings now stand.
I guess all we can do then is show our great displeasure during the 2014 election by campaigning hard against the Councillors who allowed this destruction to occur: At the January Planning Committee meeting, heritage designation for the Gore buildings was voted down by suburban councillors COLLINS (Ward 5), CLARK (Ward 9), FERGUSON (Ward 12), PARTRIDGE (Ward 15) & PEARSON (Ward 10).
Downtown Councillors have spoken mildly in favou of saving the buildings, but what have they really done to save them? Not enough! Councillors FARR (Ward 2), MCHATTIE (Ward 1) MERULLA (Ward 4),MORELLI (Ward 3, on sick leave).
By ELECTION time, the absolute folly of destroying the historic core of Hamilton will be blatantly apparent to the entire city, the orovince, the nation and Hamilton will be an international pariah and laughingstock ... AGAIN ... and political careers may falter and die on this issue ... but it will be TOO LATE to save the buildings, too late to fix the mess that was once the historic core of Hamilton.
Who's going to want to 'promenade' in front of empty lots? May as well save the money being spent on that foolish idea. Unbelievable. Pathetic.
Listen to the builders' 'vision' for this last remaing remnant of Hamilton's once beautiful and historic core: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR8UaXor... That's right folks! THERE IS NO VISION!!!! Not the Councillors, not the mayor, not the builders ... NO ONE IN THIS MESS HAS ANY VISION AT ALL OF WHAT THE DOWNTOWN CENTRE SHOULD BE!!!!! And yet they apply for and approve DEMOLITION OF THE CORE !
The 'VISION' of this city council is to go into an ELECTION with 6 empty holes where attractive heritage buildings stood ... buildings now on Heritage Canada's list of 10 "most endangered' heritage sites.
Reap what you sow councillors! Destruction of the Gore streetwall will be destruction at the ballot box ... in the history books ... and in the popular
Permalink | Context